What's that say about me?

Random (sometimes) entertaining prattle from the mind of a rather ordinary girl with extraordinary powers.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Watermelon Wine

My Uncle Staley died today. From what I understand he fell down his stairs and broke his back. The hospital sent him home last week. He died today. I don't know all the details. It's really upsetting, he was a good guy. It's funny how you don't realize what you miss about people until it is literally too late to ever tell them or experience them again.

Some things I'll never forget:

Uncle Staley letting Grace and I bring our new kitten to his house for the day because he KNEW we didn't want to be without him.

Playing on his deck and by the stream behind his house. And how he used to let us use his hammock as a toy.

How he used to always go to auto auctions and buy cars for fun.

How he used to always not only cook something for us every time we came over, but then insisit we sit and eat and have dessert and coffee with him.

How one time he found a picture of a man jogging on the front page of the newspaper that looked exactly like him, so he duct taped over the name and left it out for Grace and I to find. and we believed it was him, despite the obvious hiding on the name.

and last but certainly not least....

"Watermelon Wine!!"

He will be missed.

1 Comments:

At 7:30 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

Jamie that was such a nice post about Uncle Staley. I understand completely what you mean about missing things about people untill it's too late.I guess that shows we need-not, let a day go by without telling the one's we love , what we love about them!!I hope to share this poat with Jerry tonight. I understand entirely why Jamie is in love with you. Your a sweet girl.

Love ya,
Lisa S.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home